Black unemployment in July 21 Left Business Observer

Gar W. Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Sat Aug 8 18:55:47 PDT 1998

Just wanted to comment on one point in your article on unemployment and how unemployment lowers wages. You made the point that while *White* unemployment lowers wages, unemployment among the non skin privileged does not affect white wages in an area.

Well facts are facts, and if it is true I will have to live it -- but you have just removed an argument I have found very powerful in combatting racism -- the ability to argue to white workers that racism lowers their own standard of living. Let me ask: are you absolutely sure of this? Is it possible that non-skin privileged unemployment does lower wages for everybody -- just not as much as white unemployment? I would swear that in the fifties someone did a study showing that wages drop the higher the level of racism in an area -- which should correlate pretty well with unemployment among racial minorities.

I have stopped saying it for the moment; if an argument is wrong better not to use it. Lies and errors always come back to bite you sooner or later. And there is always moral outrage at injustice which I have found is also a powerful argument with most people -- contrary to the cynical attitude our mainstream media tries to promote about ordinary people. But I always like my arguments to stand on two legs. If my Hawaiian friends will pardon my stealing their joke: I try to show people they can do well by doing good.