Black unemployment in July 21 Left Business Observer

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Sun Aug 9 09:18:57 PDT 1998

let us suppose for a moment that the thesis that some white workers are absolutely better off due to discrimination is true. wouldn't that awareness that some white workers have a real objective material interest in racism better inform your political work and struggle? if true, shouldn't your awareness of it lead to more effective activity? it may be difficult, but how effective can it be to tell workers that they are worse off when they may have a strong feeling they are not? unless we treat the working class as passive, without agency, who are not active participants in history, etc.

mat