Chaos theory and economics.

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Aug 9 16:07:02 PDT 1998

Last year an extremely sober book was published called the Impact of Chaos on Science and Society (United Nations University Press, Tokyo). It is the proceedings of an international conference held at Tokyo in 1991. In connection with the controversy about post modernist analogies, it might be helpful to get the flavour of strictly non-metaphorical interpretations of the relevance of chaos theory to various studies.

In view of the main thrust of this list, I will quote from the conclusion of the chapter on economics by Michele Boldrin from Madrid:

"The discovery of nonlinear dynamics and expecially of chaos has brought a large amount of excitement into economics. In particular it has given us the analytical instruments we needed to start thinking of economic oscillations as endogenous phenomena, driven by market behaviours and not by supernatural and stochastic forces. It has also provided the stimulus for looking again at well-known economic and financial time series and to question the received wisdom about their proper statistical interpretation. Even if this has not produced any evidence that the theory of chaos may be empirically relevant to understanding economic and financial data it has opened the eyes of many analysts on the relevance that nonlinearities in the economic mechanism may have in determining the behaviours we observe.

... While I am still quite sceptical that a 'grand model' may emerge unifiying these different approaches, I certainly believe that a continuing research effort in these directions will reveal other important economic factors behind the observed instability of markets. If all this will prove the theory of chaos to be useful tool to analyse empirically verifiable economic phenomena cannot be decided at this time."

Chris Burford

London