The Nation - Selected Editorial

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Aug 10 07:31:06 PDT 1998

Surprisingly good page one article in today's Wall Street Journal about the UK's catastrophic experiment with privatizing public pensions, i.e.: "Financial Flop: Social Security Switch in UK Is Disastrous; A Caution to the U.S.?; Many Britons Suffer Losses on 'Personal Pensions'; Insurers Have To Pay Up; Tab May Reach $18 Billion."

I persist in believing that the chances of SS privatization happening here are very low. The rapidly approaching (already here?) Ursa Major stock market will put a swift stop to this little scheme.

Carl Remick

-----Original Message----- From: Marta Russell [mailto:ap888 at lafn.org] Sent: Saturday, August 08, 1998 4:53 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: The Nation - Selected Editorial

Doyle,

Thank you for your insightful remarks and recommendation to read the book.

As the Columbus Free Press reviewer Bob Powers said of the book "Rights of the disabled attract little attention. It is human nature to look away. " http://www.freepress.org/books/ramps

But business dominated disability policy - what happens to those who are perceived as unable to produce for the capitalists - is truly a barometer for the "progress" or lack of it in our over-capitalized civilization.

In solidarity, Marta

Doyle Saylor wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I saw Marta Russell's note about the Nationa editorial
concerning
> Social Security. I recently read Marta's book: "Beyond Ramps". Took
me
> a little while to get through it, and I've loaned it out to a friend
of
> mine already. Marta went into detail about the effect upon Social
> Security of Clinton and his minions etc. As well as the previous
> business oriented policies of the Repubs. I want to heartily
recommend
> this book. The book is a survey in passionate depth of disability in
> our culture, and the mechanisms ideologically and socially to oppress
> the disabled. Chock full of facts.
> I take note here too that a writer such as Marta is barely
scraping by
> on the book sales. Our culture is being destroyed because of the
> corporate methods make getting our words out to people excedingly hard
> and treacherous. Whoever reads LBO who is an academic and can put
> Marta's book on their reading list could make her ideas much wider
read,
> and support her analysis much more than someone like myself who mostly
> could pass the word out about the book person to person.
> Disability will be sorely hit by the cutbacks against Social
Security,