LRB on AS

Tue Aug 11 10:06:12 PDT 1998

Doyle Saylor writes:

Some kinds of perception such as in vision in the optic nerve track seem to a common "ruled" structure to humans. The structure which is inherented seems to mediate seeing color, and other generalized qualities of vision, and I could accept an inheritence of the these structures. Mathematics in the brain needs to demonstrated in the material of the brain for me to accept such a claim. regards, ___________ Chas. What do you think of the following in relationship to your discussion of the optic nerve track ? Roughly speaking.

(I posted in response to Chuck Grimes) At a simpler level, thinking of the Leninist theory of reflection, and Marx and Engels references to the _camera obscura_like inversion of our eye lenses in reflecting to the brain, might not an elementary natural difference between concept and percept be the inversion or turning upside down ? The elementary first level difference between a symbol and a real,external object is turning it upside down in your head , or imaginary practice. Would this touch your thought on Kant's riddle of how we can know things-in-themselves.

Charles Brown

Detroit