Linux/open software (was Bill Gates write

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 19:03:23 PDT 1998

I've been fooling around with Linux in various forms since '92, and have been watching with astonishment and glee the momentum that has built up around it in the last few months. The one thing that does make me wistful, though, as I troll some of the various Linux advocacy sites (www.slashdot.org is a particularly entertaining one) is: wow, what if we could harness all this anticorporate fervor (albeit expressed by people who take pains to identify themselves as proud capitalists... propaganda is a terrible thing to behold) for something a bit more, well, important than an operating system?

There was a group that camped out at Fry's (a computer store in the Valley) to hand out free Linux CDs during MS's big Win 98 launch. The Left needs these people!

Jim Baird