a real union summer

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Wed Aug 12 18:46:48 PDT 1998

>From the bare bones information available, I'd say the CWA settlement is
more of a clear win for labor than the UAW settlement (which I viewed as having achieved neither side's strategic objectives, but offering something for both, leading me to conclude that the same issues will surface again in the near future when the speedup allowed for by that agreement takes effect). The most significant accomplishment of these struggles is labor's willingness and ability to assert its interests in previously sacred areas of managerial prerogatives. Before heralding a "New Dawn" for organized labor, however, we need to parse out the effects of labor movement rejuvenation arising from New Voice-related initiative, changes in the leadership of a number of organizations, the vulnerability of new technologies and new production systems to strategic disruptions, and the impact of a tight labor market.

Michael E.