reassurance?

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Thu Aug 13 05:52:03 PDT 1998

Shelvers at aol.com wrote:

> >i think doug is right, there has been little reassurance. i think the
> pundits
> >are truly worried about asia. Remember, japan has been their idol for years
> >and suddenly the great have fallen. not only that, but those lazy american
> >workers have shown an annoying propensity to increase productivity. in fact,
> >i think the pundits don't have a fucking clue.......
> >

> I think my favorite was the guy on Bloomberg last Monday who said that the
> market would certainly hit 10,000 in no time. (I can't remember his name) The
> next day, after the big dip, they had him back on and he changed his mind and
> was expecting a 10 - 20% decline. Wow, must be great to have an employer who
> accepts a 100% margin for error yet still invites you back to work.

Piece of cake, no problemo. Here's the reassurance line. "Today's market is volatile, but there are still good stocks for the selective buyer."

I can spin this bullshit out with no trouble, on and on. It parodies itself. It's no more than Will Roger's advice to buy a stock low and sell it high, and if it doesn't go up, don't buy it. But gooped up just enough so that Will Roger's joke is lost.