Efficiency

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Thu Aug 13 07:29:45 PDT 1998

Juan- I am speaking generally now and not about A & H specifically. I don't think I'm confusing instruments and ends, I just think that both matter. And your conclusions are weakened if your theory is logically inconsistent, your methodology is suspect, etc. So even though I am "interested" when neoclassicals come to conclusions I agree with, I do think it matters how we arrived there. This is only my view and it's all open to debate (though not generally from the mainstream side, who don't see studying other approaches to economics as important, for whom "economics" simply means neoclassical economics, etc.). For me, the internal and external critiques of neoclassical economics are compelling and devastating, so why should we use it when other analytical approaches are available? These, of course, need to be worked on and improved and refined, but unfortunately so many fewer spend time working on them or learning them because of the disastrous state of economics education and the economics profession. I guess one excuse for packaging your argument in neoclassical terms is rhetorical--to try to convince those who only want it packaged that way, so it will be legitimate, etc. I guess some people do that. But I think more often, some liberals or radicals who use neoclassical theory just don't see the theory as a problem. It's just a variable is missing, or you relax an assumption here, or whatever and then we get different conclusions. Don't know if this helps. best, Mat