Cato Ad Infinito

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Fri Aug 14 07:57:49 PDT 1998

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> It is pretty surreal that a corporation should be treated as a person, but,
> on the other hand, I'm not sure what the folks who make a big deal out of
> this want to see in its place.

Who are the folks that make a big deal of this? This corporation-as-person thing doesn't seem to get much press, including the left press and including left oriented mailling lists. My brother was the person that first pointed out the to me how silly it is, and I know he doesn't want to continue it.

>Any suggestions?

Make getting a corporate charter harder and enforce "public good" restrictions on them. The problem is that corps are chartered by states, not the federal gov't, and as someone else pointed out, Delaware and NJ turned into sluts w.r.t. issuing charters and evertbody else followed. It's like when states get into bidding wars over how much money they will throw at a company to get them to build in their state. A race for the bottom, and the corps laugh all the way to the bank and on to the golf course.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com