Cassidy in New Yorker

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 14 08:28:58 PDT 1998

When Black Friday comes I'm gonna dig myself a hole Gonna lay down in it' Til I satisfy my soul Gonna let the world pass by me The Archbishop gonna sanctify me And if he don't come across I'm gonna let it roll When Black Friday comes I'm gonna stake my claim I guess I'll change my name.

--Steely Dan, "Black Friday"

Mat Forstater might get a kick out of this. Steely Dan was made up of Bard College graduates and many of their songs contain allusions to life on the campus. One of my favorite songs is "Wheelin' in the Years" which is jammed with references to life up at Bard.

Louis Proyect