Cassidy in New Yorker

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 14 10:18:40 PDT 1998

I read Cassidy's piece last night. After talking up the possibility of a crash, he then closes with a reassuring quote from Milton Friedman, of all people. "'I suspect we will have a recession when the bubble bursts.' But, he added, 'It need not be more than am ild recession - if the Fed does its job.'" So why devote thousands of words to evoking the dramatic parallel with 1929 to end on such a whimper?

Cassidy also assures us that the Fed will tighten, perhaps as soon as next week. This is a minority view, but he speaks with the authority of a leakee. Wonder how he knows this.

Doug