Immiseration, was Krugman on Marx

WolfSave at aol.com WolfSave at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 18:38:31 PDT 1998

<<Marx and Engels on Ecology>>

Marx and Engels on Ecology goes for $65, if it can be found. I guess my more recent reading interests have outpaced my wallet. If I'm gainfully employed by this time next month, I'll pick it up along with a couple others, Perelman's for instance. Just a comment. I noticed that Amazon.com's related hyper-linked books included "communism and ecology" or something close. This is an interesting topic, and one I visited and left some ten years ago or so after writing to the People's Daily World (organ for the CPUSA as I recall) about the communist quest to run parallel to the capitalist quest to harness nuclear fission. The World was making a big deal out of fusion, "more is better" approach, which I objected to with the thesis that the perpetual motion machine means doom for natural selection in a maga manner. The point is that Marx's earlier writings in the 1844 Manuscripts (and it's been over 20 years since I've read these) struck me by his strong Englightenment Humanism and naive ecological foresight, which was not so naive considering the time he was writing, I'm sure. I suppose this is what the text referred to will address. Nonetheless, I was disappointed (as a junior sociology student) to discover his term, "species consciousness" was restricted to homo sapian sapians. It's this anthropocentrism that earlier gave me the willies about the CPUSA and capital in general. Just rambling on here. Sorry. Ed Evans