the politics of food

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Mon Aug 17 21:27:58 PDT 1998

At 12:07 AM 8/18/1998 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote: SNIP

>What I've heard - Patrick? Chuck? Jordan? Kirsten? - was that Berkeley's
>older poor, unable to afford the new food regime, ride the bus for an hour
>or more to Oakland to shop.
>
>Doug

I have never eaten at Chez anything and don't shop at Andronicos (the most expensive of the corporate stores) except on rare occasions. But you'll find a lot of the less well off, along with many who are doing just fine, thank you, at any of a number of farmers' markets in Berkeley and Oakland on various days of the week. Then their's the discount (Safeway-owned) Pak'N Sav, and Grocer's Outlet (or whatever it's called) at the foot of University Ave. on Fourth St. in Berkeley.

Doug, Oakland is not an hour's ride from Berkeley, nor is SF, unless you happen to be on a freeway at rush hour in which a car has broken down in the middle lane. Than even Oakland can be an eternity from Berkeley. (Suggestion: stick to the streets).

In solidarity, Michael E.

P.S.: The stores in Oakland are no cheaper than those in Berkeley. They're all owned by the same corps., except Andronicos, which is locally owned (for the moment) but also has no stores in Oakland.