the politics of food

james withrow withrow21 at webtv.net
Tue Aug 18 10:24:37 PDT 1998

In Texas, where I'm moving back to in a few weeks, Velveeta is priced as a loss leader in the grocery stores, meaning that shoppers cmpare the price of Velveeta like they do milk and eggs, so all three sell at a loss. Negative markup. It's been such a pain to have to pay $7 per pound for the stuff up here in Philly. But, you know, "there's no other cheese like it". I had it on my scrambled eggs this morning with some salsa.

Here in Philly, they have an even better cheese for cheesesteaks. You don't even have to melt it. You just pump it up out of a can. Beauty-ful.

So, I gather that if I did move to the Bay Area, Chico would be the place for me to consider. Thanks, guys.

James in Philly

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Subject: Re: the politics of food Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:44:30 -0700 (PDT) Size: 1724 URL: <../attachments/19980818/ea39f277/attachment.eml>