the politics of food

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Tue Aug 18 13:30:45 PDT 1998

On 18-Aug-98 james withrow wrote:
> Here in Philly, they have an even better cheese for cheesesteaks.
>You don't even have to melt it. You just pump it up out of a can.
>Beauty-ful.
> So, I gather that if I did move to the Bay Area, Chico would be
>the place for me to consider. Thanks, guys.
> James in Philly

Geeze louise guys, this is terrible misinformation on Bay Area food stuffs.

You can get the pump style cheese goo in industrial duty gallons with a hand grip and a pump from Pak n'Save.

Also somebody said lavender and squid are impossible. You use the herb Provence mix (tarragon, chervil, savory, sage, marjoram, thyme, parsley, basil, and LAVENDER)in lemon or lime juice and a little extra virgin olive oil/garlic/white wine as a marinade, then bake or broil. This works for just about any white fish/shell food. For the heavier version add the same herb mix with powered garlic/parareka/salt/pepper to an egg/bread crumb batter and fry or bake it. The dried lavender is a little like basil or rosemary, so the oven heat makes it aromatic.

BTW, according to the warehouse rumor mill, this year's salmon run was/is phenomenal and the fishing fleet has taken to selling whole salmon off the boats to dodge middleman price gouging.

The poor. The poor shop at the Berkeley Bowl then take the bus down to Pak n' Save for bulk meat, junk food, and paper/soap products. I think these two stores are on the same Shattuck/Stanford/San Pablo bus line.

My theory is that epidemic obesity among the working class/poor is due to consuming vast quantities of junk food. In fact, it is a reciprocal relationship, since the junk food industry targets the same population. Nobody does any CV exercise either--not after working. Results: diabetes, heart disease, and stroke--all epidemic for the poor/working classes. The only people to escape are immigrants who keep their traditional diets (shopping around 6th/Broadway? in asian and mexican stores) and of course the marginally employed effete like me. So, getting in and staying at near normal weight/shape and out of CVA/diabetes risk statistics is a luxury. Or put it another way, these diseases are a direct result of capital exploitation of labor.

Chuck Grimes