the global melodrama

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Aug 18 14:39:07 PDT 1998

Well, I am both a fan of K-waves to some degree and not much of a monetarist. But, the deflation of the late nineteenth century certainly can be explained on monetarist grounds. There was an international gold standard and the gold supply was not growing sufficiently until the Alaska/Yukon strike at the end of the 1890s. Any remember William Jenning Bryan's "Cross of Gold" speech?

Of course the broader political economic aspect was global economic domination by British capitalists. It was the Bank of England that was the enforcer of the international gold standard. The pathetic attempt to return to the old peg in the 1920s was the sign of the Brits wanting to go back to what they had but couldn't. Barkley Rosser On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:42:40 +0100 Mark Jones <Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu