structural food distribution oppression

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 18:40:26 PDT 1998

And that's
>probably true. But "being poor" is substantially more
>(or less) than having no money. Indeed, when I
>applied for foodstamps this was evident, as it seemed
>to me that it would be very difficult to negotiate the
>application process without a college education.
>(Which was confirmed by the fact that the the really
>poor people would spend an afternoon vainly trying to
>fill out forms which took me an hour. In any case it
>was evident that being really poor is hard work.)

One thing I've wondered: the EITC is a fairly complicated thing to figure out - are there any figures on how many are qualified for the EITC but don't apply?

Jim Baird

P.S. By the way, this is one of the things I like about this list: "unserious" topics have a tendency to become "serious" and vice versa. We start talking about frou-frou cuisine in Berkeley, and end up with an analysis of the impact of class geography on food distribution...