structural food distribution oppression

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Tue Aug 18 20:52:15 PDT 1998

Greg,

Thanks for such a thoughtful post. In my own comments about food prices, the neighborhood I described was very, very, poor. At most, 1/2 the people there had cars, and not all of those were running.

Question for you on your bit about the higher costs of food distribution. You said that it would cost more to distribute food to smaller, more urban stores. I assume you're referring to the labor costs. Wouldn't the costs even out when it takes longer to get from supermarket to supermarket in suburban areas if individual distributors (i.e., Del Monte or Tropicana) are involved? Or, if product is being delivered from a central warehouse owned by the supermarket, wouldn't the costs of maintaining it drive up prices? Seems like transportation-related costs would be the same in suburban or urban settings. It's stop and go traffic in both.

YOu mentioned that seeing an "oligopolistic conspiracy" would not be enough to explain the higer prices. I wouldn't use the word conspiracy, but it seems pretty obvious to me that people open inner-city corner grocery stores knowing beforehand that they have a capitive market. That means they can do things, price-wise, that they'd never get away with if residents had the option of shopping elsewhere.

Frances