the global melodrama

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Wed Aug 19 01:31:23 PDT 1998

Given the crash in the gold price since the early 1980s, as Volcker made interest-bearing assets so much more attractive, what do lbo-talkers think may happen with gold (with still relatively high global real interest rates) if deflation gathers pace?

Our comrades in the National Union of Mineworkers are most anxious to find out. Any role for a store of value left these days?

> From: "Rosser Jr, John Barkley" <rosserjb at jmu.edu>
... There was an international gold standard and the
> gold supply was not growing sufficiently until the
> Alaska/Yukon strike at the end of the 1890s. Any remember
> William Jenning Bryan's "Cross of Gold" speech?
> Of course the broader political economic aspect was
> global economic domination by British capitalists. It was
> the Bank of England that was the enforcer of the
> international gold standard. The pathetic attempt to
> return to the old peg in the 1920s was the sign of the
> Brits wanting to go back to what they had but couldn't.
> Barkley Rosser

Patrick Bond HOME: WORK: 51 Somerset Road University of the Witwatersrand Kensington 2094 Graduate School of Public and Johannesburg, South Africa Development Management Phone: (2711) 614-8088 2 St.David's Road, Parktown E-mails: pbond at wn.apc.org bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za Work phone: (2711) 488-5917 Fax: (2711) 484-2729