MT: Darwin & Malthus

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Aug 19 05:49:58 PDT 1998

Rakesh's points concerning the probabilistic nature of Darwinian explanations are applicable to selectionist theories in general. Thus Roy A. Moxley in an article in the journal *Behavior and Philosophy* (Spring 1997) made similar points in regards to BF Skinner's radical behaviorism. Skinner's version of learning theory is selectionist, drawing a close analogy between operant learning and Darwinian natural selection. Moxley suggests that in SKinner's early work when he was most strongly influenced by such figures as Jacques Loeb, John B. Watson and Bertrand Russell, the assumption of determinism played a very important role in his view of behavior but the importance of this assumption diminished as his views of behavior drew closer to the selectionist views of Ernst Mach, C.S. Peirce and John Dewey. Whereas, Skinner in his earlier work tended to emphasize the finding of the sources of behavior in deterministic laws his later work came to emphasize the role of chance and random variation in the origin of behavior. Thus the role of determinism was downplayed in his later work

This also has implications for our understanding of Marxism. In G.A. Cohen's *Karl Marx's Theory of History,* Cohen pointed out that evolutionary biology (in both its Lamarckian and Darwinian forms) can provide with models for understanding how historical materialist explanations ought to be analyzed. Alan Carling has gone further and argued that historical materialism can be explicitly interpreted in selectionist terms analogous to Darwinism. In other words that the principles of variation and selection are applicable to historical materialism. For Carling class struggle plays in Marxism the same role that mutations do in Darwinism. And that that the rise and fall of modes of production comes as a result of social selection.

As Rakesh points out in Peirce's analysis of Darwinism the theory is denuded of much of its predictive power from which which we are led to draw a distinction between prediction and explanation which lies at the core of contemporary realist philosophies of science. Richard W. Miller, one of the early Analytic Marxists, likewise drew such a distinction and in his book *Analyzing Marx* he argued that such a distinction is crucial in understanding historical materialism as a scientific theory. If Carling's selectionist interpretation of historical materialism is valid then Rakesh's points concerning the necessity of the prediction/explanation distinction in Darwinian biology would lend support to Miller's thesis. In any case it should be apparent that whether we look at Darwinism, or radical behaviorism or historical materialism we find a dialectic between chance and necessity.

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]