the global melodrama

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Wed Aug 19 06:12:38 PDT 1998

Dear Doug and the Left Business Observers,

In the early 90's there was a lot of talk about Kondratieff and his long wave theories in the financial news and on the old FNN cable station in particular. You know how it goes people get on tv and blah,blah,blah. So I decided to do a little research and find out what Kondratieff had written from the perspective of what was available in English at that time. I figured most of the people on tv were probably big bullshitters and were parroting second hand or third hand information from dubious sources.

Interestingly enough, only about 50 or 60 pages of Kondratieff have ever been translated into English and some of these are synopsis of longer articles by Kondratieff or partial translations of longer articles. Mostly from the mid 1920's.

There is very little in the way of data tables, in the above, and some of the data concerns the history of land rents in France. The math appears to be trigonometric functions, possibly hinting at Fourier transforms. Les or Enrique, please note, this would be up your alley. This is speculation on my part and not to be taken too seriously.

The writings of Kondratieff that I gathered are from established American economic journals and could be retrieved.

>From other sources. I have read that Kondratieff was able to make enemies of
both Trotsky and Stalin; I find this very funny. The guy must of had somthing on the ball.

Sincerely, Tom