clean & sober living

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 19 15:32:14 PDT 1998

alec ramsdell wrote:

>Look out! I'm on a rant roll.
>
>I've been living at a clean & sober living house for the past 4 mos
>(tight housing market in SF). The organization is called TLC. Ahw.
>
>This is how tender and loving they are:
>
>Rent is prohibitively expensive, only available to those within a
>certain income bracket. The Pres came by to sit in on our house meeting
>the other night. I missed the meeting, but at one point, addressing
>other house-mates contentions, the guy said (in so many words), well,
>yeah, it's expensive, you wouldn't want the type that lives down in our
>San Jose house living here would you (read: to be poor and black is to
>be an universal menace). What an asshole, we all opined.
>
>New policy as of this month: $150 deposit. If you "go out"--relapse--
>you lose the money. Back at treatment center they told us 8 out of 10
>of us would "go out." TLC is thinkin'!

Here in NYC we have an organization called the Doe Fund that runs a program called "Ready, Willing, & Able." It takes ex-druggies, "rehabilitates" them, and lends them to the city for workfare work. Now, they collect trash from street litterbaskets - work that used to be done by unionized sanit workers - while wearing a bright blue jumpsuit (jailhouse fashion) with the "Ready Willing & Able" logo splashed across the back. Don't tell TLC!

Doug