Temping

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 18:09:36 PDT 1998

On a less cheeky note:

The benefits and lack of security are inexcusable. There isn't much resembling a grievance process. The customer can let the temp go for whatever reason, then it's up to the temp to defend her case with the dispatcher. The "freedom" of temping is in many ways a kind of happiness fix.

But for one in transition, like myself, it can be useful.

Also, I've noticed recently a more "sensitive" regard for the temp. More calls to see if everything is going well, if the customer has it together, with some pep--"snappy fingers" comes to mind--thrown in. It seems more temps are leaving jobs of their own volition, because they weren't happy with the situation. And the agencies seem to be accomodating in this regard, finding them other positions.

One more thing: I talked with a guy who worked with Manpower, and he told me about how Manpower is not forthcoming about the fact that Temps can qualify for unemployment pay after a certain span of time. The agency must find them work, which gives the gloss of security. But the guy pointed out that temps rarely know this, and Manpower isn't about to point the way.

-Alec