Temping

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 18:36:06 PDT 1998

>Doug asked about the negative side of temping. I think you have to
divide
>temping up along 2 different dimensions. First, in effect some of
>the bennies are converted into a current income. Since young people
are
>less likely to be sick and less concerned about pensions, young people
>would be more inclined to find temping attractive.
>
>Second, some temps have very high skills that are in great demand.
Some
>temps cannot command a highsalary for their skills.
>
>For a young, high skilled person, temping might not be so bad.
>
>But then ask temp (adjunct) professor that earns less than half the
>salary of a tenured prof. and you might get a different answer.
>
>Am I off base here?
> --

I think every situation is different - I know some people who used to temp, but got married, had kids, etc. and went the fulltime route for the stability. I temp for two reasons:

(1) The money. I can make $60-$70 an hour (and get paid extra for working more than 40 hours, unlike a salaried employee) As a 28 year old single male, benefits cost me virtually nothing out of pocket. And if I fell like taking a few months off at the end of a contract, I can afford to do it.

(2) The freedom. I've had my fill of corporate propaganda about how "we're all in this together" and we have a "customer focused business model" (whatever that means...) As a contractor, I go in, do my job, and nobody much cares what I think. It's refreshing. Truth to tell, I'd rather do something that mattered to me, bgut until I figure out what that is, this is an Ok life.

Jim Baird