Temping

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 20 09:01:59 PDT 1998

Hello everyone,

Thanks Tom Lehman for place to go if one wants to contact a union organizer. I think temp organizing would be a powerful boost for the labor movement. It ain't easy doing that. I've tried occasionally in a non-union shop to get something off the ground, but nobody said organizing was a piece of cake.

Louis I presume you mean by workerist deviation that I am chauvinist for a segment of the working class and can't get it about the variations there are for workers. My point is that I've never made 600 dollars a day in my life, and that looks good to me for a week. I get it that contingent work wrecks other levels of the working class. I see what Frances Bolton is saying about grad student workers, who in my opinion are in some ways closer to the experience of temps than is contract programmers, or contract technical writers. But temp work is mostly the bottom of the barrel in my experience. You can't blend them together so easily with someone who makes 600 dollars a day. It feels like a very different place to be in life. That is what I am writing about in my experiences. One needs to have a realistic assessment of the world one lives in.

I think you were trying to show your class solidarity, and that is ok with me. I like solidarity. I like your historical and theoretical depth. I just think you aren't living a life like mine. There is temping, and there is independent contracting. regards, Doyle Saylor