Temping

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Thu Aug 20 08:42:50 PDT 1998

A number of people posted on the difficulties of organizing temps. I believe it's probably difficult, but not impossible. 18 months or so ago, one of the nude clubs in San Francisco became a union shop (SEIU, I believe). I bring this up because, while nude clubs are not *formally* temp jobs, they de facto are. I worked in a topless club for a couple of years, and the turnover is extremely high-women stayed for a couple of months, for the most part. In that respect, it resembles any low paying, low prestige, no bennies job. But there was also a significant number of women who would work for two days, or one day every six weeks or so. And, one's career as a topless dancer is contingent upon one's looks--once you hit 28 or so, you're pretty much over the hill. I don't know if the club in san francisco had an equally relaxed employment policy, but if they organized, why not temps?

Seems like one of the problems with organizing temps would be the size and sheer number of temp agencies. How do you organize something like Manpower, Inc.? If one successfully organized one temp agency, wouldn't their clients simply move to another agency? Just thinking...

Frances