Postings, format of

Steven Matthews steve at panix.com
Thu Aug 20 15:26:36 PDT 1998

Tom Condit said:

> Probably there's some software capable of filtering
> out any message in which more than half the lines are quotes from another
> message, but why should LBO have to waste money on it when a little
> self-restraint could do the job in a far more elegant manner?

For those who have shell access, procmail can be used to do this. I know Panix has it, so it could even be set up to delete these posts before they're distributed to the list.

Entering the command man procmailsc at the unix prompt yields much information about procmail weighted averaging, of which this is only a small part--

If you are subscribed to a mailinglist, and just would like

to read the quality mails, then the following recipes could

do the trick. First we make sure that the mail is coming

from the mailinglist. Then we check if it is from certain

persons of whom we value the opinion, or about a subject we

absolutely want to know everything about. If it is, file

it. Otherwise, check if the ratio of quoted lines to origi-

nal lines is at most 1:2. If it exceeds that, ditch the

mail. Everything that survived the previous test, is filed.

:0

{

:0:

* ^(From:.*(paula|bill)|Subject:.*skiing)