Temping

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Sat Aug 22 00:40:03 PDT 1998

<< For a young, high skilled person, temping might not be so bad.

But then ask temp (adjunct) professor that earns less than half the

salary of a tenured prof. and you might get a different answer.

Am I off base here?

--

Michael Perelman >>

temp jobs, like any work where you sell your labor for wages, have plusses and minuses. for an old broad like me adjuncting ain't half bad -- i have a full time career and benefits from elsewhere. for a young person starting off, adjuncting is a horrible trap because schools increasingly use adjuncts to fill what used to be career positions with benefits and voice (i.e., bargaining rights). it seems to me that, as temp work becomes more and more prevalent, there needs to be a way to add strength to the bargaining position of temps. maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com