real interest rates

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Sun Aug 23 08:58:34 PDT 1998

At 09:44 AM 8/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>howdee,
>
>i've been seeing this term "real interest rates" tossed around in the media
>recently--people are saying that "real interest rates" in the u.s. are high.
>what are "real" interest rates? i mean, compared to the prime?

the real rate is approximately equal to the nominal rate (the interest rate printed on the loan agreement) minus the inflation rate. The idea is that if I lend you $100 for one year at 10% interest, but inflation reduces the real value of the $110 you pay back by 5%, you're "really" paying only 5 percent interest (approximately) and I'm "really" earning only 4 percent since the dollars I get at the end of the year aren't worth as much as those I lent you.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html