la revolution

james withrow withrow21 at webtv.net
Sun Aug 23 10:13:42 PDT 1998

Mark Jones: "Nutrition.   Numbers of People Supported by 1992 Global Food Supply with Different Diets 1.1 Population potentially supported by 1992 food supply with a basic diet 6.3 billion (115% of world population) 1.2 improved diet 4.2 billion ( 77% of world population) 1.3 full-but-healthy diet 3.2 billion ( 59% of world population) Source: FAO, 1993. "the adequacy of the global food supply depends not only on amount, but also on quality — on how one defines "adequate diet.""

So. Mark, your point here is what? If you're trying to say that the majority of people on earth would and should have access to a better diet, yes, of course, you're right. But the problem isn't that the earth can't produce what's needed for that diet. It's far more a case of distribution and wealth inequity. What people can pay for, agriculture can provide.

And as a vegetarian, I can hardly be expected to feel sorrow for adults who can't afford more meat to eat. (Maybe if they were yearning for more Velveeta...) Adults don't need much in the way of expensive meat or dairy products.

It's also silly to expect the world's population to keep growing at the rate it has this century (not that Mark is claiming this.) Much of the growth is the product of better health care worldwide and while there's still more to be done, there are significantly fewer places where less infant mortality would boost population. Some nations already have negative birthrates and urbanization seems to be the biggest factor.

I'd think that you'd be praising the U.S, military for the bombing of that sweets factory in Sudan. Think of all those empty calories no longer being foisted on the citizens of such a poor nation.

Mark J. again: "Actually you don't need a passport to see the problem: just go into your own ghettoes. In the United States, the Center on Hunger, Poverty and Nutrition Policy at Tufts University, directed by Larry Brown, estimates that 13% of all Americans, or 30 million people, (12 million children and 18 million adults)   are food poor. This list has been discussing bad diet among the poor. The low birthweight rate for African-Americans (US citizens)..."

Well, I live three blocks from where a ghetto begins and if people are going hungry, they're hiding it rather well. Low birthweights among African-Americans and other U.S. citizens aren't due to any problem with access to food. Most of the comments here have centered on poor dietary choices and some barriers to making good dietary choices. Some low birthweights are due to access to health care and some are due to alcohol and drug abuse during pregnancy. There are plenty of places to get a free meal.

Mark J. again: "As a Cuban and a revolutionary, I share..."

I didn't know that Cuba's dictator was allowing his people internet access. You meet so few Cubans in the chat rooms.

Seriously, though, thanks for the info. I just don't find it a good argument for worldwide scarcity. And, if we do have a hunger cataclysm soon, it'll probably be because of distributional disruptions-- maybe caused by that revolution you're so looking forward to.

James in Philly