highways -- circa 1957

Steve Bruns sbruns at kuntrynet.com
Sun Aug 23 11:34:36 PDT 1998

Michael Cohen wrote:

> My recollection is this is one of the "benefits" of the cold war.
> The Highway trust fund, as well as the internet was sold
> as a military necessity having to do with I believe troup
> transport in the event of a war or invasion.
> --

Wasn't it called the "National Defense Highway System" or the like in the Act that authorized it?

Totally unrelated question: Since the US government can control the supply of money via policy (essentially owning the dollar printing press), wouldn't it be possible for the gov't to slowly inflate its way out of debt? It worked for mortgaged homeowners in the late '70's. Or does this send the transfer of wealth heading in the "wrong" direction?

Steve Bruns B of LE #153