highways -- circa 1957

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Aug 23 12:44:14 PDT 1998

> Michael Cohen wrote:
> >
> > My recollection is this is one of the "benefits" of the cold war.
> > The Highway trust fund, as well as the internet was sold
> > as a military necessity having to do with I believe troup
> > transport in the event of a war or invasion.
> > --
> Wasn't it called the "National Defense Highway System" or the like in
> the Act that authorized it?

Yes.

> Totally unrelated question: Since the US government can control the
> supply of money via policy (essentially owning the dollar printing
> press), wouldn't it be possible for the gov't to slowly inflate its way
> out of debt?

In theory, yes. To some extent this happens as a matter of course. An inflation of X percent devalues the pre-existing debt by that same amount (as it does all other debt).

In practice this would not be a great idea, as it would unsettle routine credit purchases of the Federal govt. Nor is it particularly necessary. There is no problem with the existing debt. It can be carried indefinitely.

> It worked for mortgaged homeowners in the late '70's. Or
> does this send the transfer of wealth heading in the "wrong" direction?

Yes, hence one factor underlying a progressive interest in a mildly inflationary policy (the other being upward pressure on wages and employment).

MBS