Reform of IMF

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 23 13:32:08 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky:
>I assume you are not referring to Marx's technical
>definition of exploitation, but simply to the unjust
>drain of resources from one nation to another, or
>from a nation to a class, if you like. But the
>context was different. I understood Mark's reference
>to Chris as aimed at development, not de-development.
>South Korea, not Ecuador.

Capitalism is a world system. South Korea economic development would not have been possible unless imperialism had extended a helping-hand. Imperialism would not be possible without the exploitation of countries like Guatemala, Zaire, Ecuador, Nigeria, etc. For every one South Korea, there are a dozen countries that exist for no other purpose except to supply cheap raw materials to the US, W. Europe and Japan.

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)