Reform of IMF

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Aug 24 11:10:10 PDT 1998

>Max Sawicky:
>>I assume you are not referring to Marx's technical
>>definition of exploitation, but simply to the unjust
>>drain of resources from one nation to another, or
>>from a nation to a class, if you like. But the
>>context was different. I understood Mark's reference
>>to Chris as aimed at development, not de-development.
>>South Korea, not Ecuador.

Louis P.:
>Capitalism is a world system. South Korea economic development would not
have been possible unless imperialism had extended a helping-hand. Imperialism would not be possible without the exploitation of countries like Guatemala, Zaire, Ecuador, Nigeria, etc. For every one South Korea, there are a dozen countries that exist for no other purpose except to supply cheap raw materials to the US, W. Europe and Japan.>

I fail to see why the mercenary resource extraction to which you refer was or is necessary to SK-type outcomes elsewhere, nor to the G-7 economies, for that matter. Looting resources may propel capital accumulation, but I don't see it as a necessary condition.

That something is terrible does not mean it is an essential prop for capitalism.

MBS