USWA's $40m

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Sun Aug 23 14:23:55 PDT 1998

Michael Eisenscher wrote:

> I rather doubt that any significant amount would be spent outside the U.S.
> The objective of most unions' organizing funds is to increase dues paying
> members, market penetration, and influence with employers in bargaining.
> "Solidarity" measures are generally consigned to the organization's
> international affairs dept., if they have one, or to the AFL-CIO.

Too bad, if international capital were equally parochial when looking for investmentopportunities then labor would have a much fairer fight. A priori there is no reason why could not be International Unions with dues paying members any more than IBM's operations have to be restricted to the US.

--mike

-- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Associate Professor, Center for Adaptive Systems Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-353-7755