la revolution

Sat Aug 22 21:05:14 PDT 1998

>Mark Jones wrote:
>
>> Brad De Long wrote:
>>
>> > Can't I just wish for a high-pressure economy in which unemployment is
>>low,
>> > businesses are eager to train, educate, and cosset their workers, and
>>I can
>> > vote with my feet for the most pleasant employer?
>>
>> The problem, Brad, is that you already live in that economy, and the
>> price which the other 90% of humans pays is to live somewhere much less
>> convivial, and they always will until you and I agree to give up a few
>> things and share a little more. That's what social-ism means (social
>> democracy is just a tax-deductible conscience-saver).

I agree that I already live in that economy, and that one worries much less about issues of *control* when one is confident that one's market position gives one the power to vote with one's feet...

But classical social democracy--northwest Europe between 1960 and 1980, say--was more effective at transferring income and wealth to the poor than any other society in human history..

Brad DeLong