highways -- circa 1957

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Mon Aug 24 07:28:49 PDT 1998

Les Schaffer wrote:

> of course, i can guess: the interstate highway system was some
> massive, federally funded extravaganza that purportedly was built __in
> response to__ an anticipated need but actually was built in order to
> encourage car ownership, suburbs, interstate commerce, etc ?????

I thought the Interstates were built, like the autobahns in the 30's, to facilitate military transportation across the country.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 758 8962 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique