Wah'habism

Tue Aug 25 09:33:06 PDT 1998

I appreciated the history lesson below from Barkley. I was wondering about bin Laden's switch from fighting with the U.S. in Afghanistan to the present fighting against the U.S., but I suppose from his perspective, the U.S and USSR in Afghanistan were both enemies.

On something not directly on point of the discussion below, but on the embassy bombings, it strikes me that most of the people killed in the U.S. embassy bombings were not Americans. This seems a somewhat vicious indifference by bin Laden to the lives of those bystander Africans. This implies an enormous failing in bin Laden's ideology. He has no basis of accusing these innocent bystanders of attacks or hatred of Islam or occupation of Mecca. They are not responsible for U.S. embassies in their nations. And these U.S. embassies were not in an Islamic holyland. The African deaths were forseeable by those who planned the bombing.

Let me say as background that I do not endorse, the terrorism, but the U.S. is the most terrorist nation in history by the definition of knowingly killing civilians. The U.S. dropped nuclear bombs on TWO CITIES in Japan.

This is just one example world historic terrorism , of course. More recently it bombed civilian neighborhoods in invading Panama and attacking Iraq. So, it is absurd for the U.S. to call anybody else terrorist.

However, would bin Laden blow up an U.S. embassy in a nation where many , non-American Islamic bystanders would be killed ? U.S. terrorism does not justify bin Laden's disregard of African bystanders as somekind of non-humans or lesser humans.

Charles Brown

Detroit

>>> "Rosser Jr, John Barkley" <rosserjb at jmu.edu> 08/24 5:57 PM >>>

Besides pan-Islamic anti-colonialism (with an emphasis on the US) and anti-Zionism, the ideology of Osama bin Laden is more specifically a radical variant of the ideology of the Sa'udi royal family, Wah'habism. In this post I shall discuss its history and characteristics, especially in relation to the Kingdom of Sa'udi Arabia (KSA) and its relations with the US.

An Islamic law code is a Shari'a, the Way, and all Islamic fundamentalists support nations being ruled by a Shari'a. In Sunni Islam four Shari'as evolved: Hanafi, the oldest and loosest in interpretation, Melki, prominent in North Africa, Shafi, prominent in Southeast Asia, and the most recent and strictest, Hanbali. The ideology of Wah'habism is that the Hanbali Shari'a should be imposed, as it is in KSA and Qatar. The Hanbali Shari'a accepts only the Qur'an and selected parts of the Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammed) as legitimate foundations for law.

Although the Hanbali code had been around for several --clip- etc. etc.