Wah'habism

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Aug 25 12:53:34 PDT 1998

I have no doubt that if asked, Osama bin Laden would give a response along the lines of General Sherman's "War is Hell."

Yes, Wah'habism views both "atheistic communism" and "imperialist capitalism" as utter enemies. They are the new/old Third Way.

Let me note that their is an economic aspect to this in the form of Islamic economics, that gets pushed by Islamic fundamentalists, including the Wah'habists. In virtually all of the Islamic Shari'as is the forbidding of interest (riba), found vigorously expressed in the Qur'an. There is now a worldwide Islamic banking movement that does not technically involve the payment of interest, with such banks in over 63 countries, including the US. The founder of the current version of this movement is Mohammed ibn Faisal ibn Abdulaziz al-Sa'ud, the eldest son of the late King Faisal of KSA. In several countries, including Iran and Sudan and I think Afghanistan, paying of interest has been outlawed. I note, however, that along with Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas, profit is approved.

Ironically in KSA itself interest is allowed but very restricted and regulated. Changing that has long been one of the leading demands of the internal opposition in KSA, especially since some of the most articulate defenders of Islamic banking are in the Sa'udi central bank (Sa'udi Arabian Monetary Agency (SAMA)), such as M. Umar Chapra, author of _Towards a Just Monetary System: A Discussion of Money, Banking and Monetary Policy in the Light of Islamic Teachings_, 1985, Leicester: Islamic Foundation.

My wife (Marina V. Rosser) and I have labeled the desire to have a "Third Way" economic system based on a traditional religion combined with modern technology, the "new traditional economy" (see by us, _Comparative Economics in a Transforming World Economy_, 1996, Chidago: Irwin, especially chaps. 5 and 16, and, also by us, "Islamic and Neo-Confucian Perspectives on the New Traditional Economy," _Eastern Economic Journal_, Spring 1998, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 217-227. Barkley Rosser On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:33:06 -0400 Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu