Sudan: experts wanted

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Aug 25 13:53:52 PDT 1998

I understand that the Arab League at its meeting on Monday agreed economic assistance for Sudan's reconstruction from the raid. I do not know the small print, and there appears to be no English language version of an Arabic paper in London (logically enough!) but it is reasonable to suppose that money would also be forthcoming for an investigation of the incident.

A Scottish MP has asked for experts to volunteer to fly to the Sudan, and Tom Carnaffin, the British engineer who was technical head of production for 4 years has already said he would be prepared to go out.

An enquiry would need an international figurehead, but most importantly serious experts. The precise outcome matters less than that it is held and its findings are available for the news media. Does anyone see any connections they can help make?

Chris Burford

London.