Hunger in Pennsylvania

Tue Aug 25 14:13:53 PDT 1998

I agree with your call for minimum wage reform, but you asked what else beside that. We need both and more, radical reform and moderate reform. Not that we will win it all, but at least a larger picture of how to change the whole system should be put into the minds of the many (as much as we can).

Yes, "decent" should be defined right now, I agree with that. In fact, it would be defined in part in terms of a minimum wage.

I don't usually think of the "decent" issue as referring to what you raise about jobs people don't want to do. There is also garbage collector and dead body fetchers, window washing on tall buildings , mining. I can't see anyway but paying a premium, as you suggest. Also, how about rotating the jobs ?Everybody does a tour of unpleasant jobs.

Anyway, there are too different "decent" issues, if you follow me. The decent I am referring to is basically, decent pay, but certainly there must be more focus on workplace safety.

Charles Brown

Detroit

Workers of the West, it's our turn.