Intel (was Transportation as)

bautiste at uswest.net bautiste at uswest.net
Tue Aug 25 16:25:56 PDT 1998

Intel is laying off 10,000 worldwide. In NM it's rumored to be 3,000 locally. Mostly support people in programming and sw development. I hear that Intel is building a big plant in Mexico City. Anyone heard about this? Could it be that the 10,000 will be "backfilled" by Mexican workers, making a pittance of what their counterparts in the US did?

The question is, should we grieve very long for those being let go from Intel? I understand they were getting a thousand shares/year of stock, and many in the first wave were "bought out." At 70-80 bucks a share that's not a bad deal. Besides, having worked at Intel looks good on any resume. Most people will get picked up quickly making 70-120 bucks/hr.

My question is: what happens when/if the bottom falls out of the worldwide economy? Does this mean the technology market will dry up or just shrink?

-- http://www.users.uswest.net/~bautiste/index.htm