How important is racism?

Tony Evans tevans at adelaide.on.net
Thu Aug 27 00:16:01 PDT 1998

As society in general is "beset by racism" then every workplace is also impacted by racism.

Politics in Australia is all but dominated by the rise of the One Nation party. The following report from today's "Australian" newspaper is forwarded for info.

Alliance forms to fight Hanson By KIMINA LYALL 27aug98

PROMPTED by former prime minister Bob Hawke's latest foray into

consensus-making, an unlikely alliance of business, union and

religious leaders yesterday made a public declaration urging

Australians to "decisively repudiate" One Nation.

The statement, signed by the Business Council of Australia, the

Australian Council of Trade Unions, the Australian Council of Social

Service, the Executive Council of Australian Jewry and Catholic and

Anglican archbishops, said Pauline Hanson's immigration policies

"simply do not recognise the demographic, social or economic

realities of our nation".

"They threaten Australian jobs by undercutting the growth that flows

from an open economy," the statement said.

One Nation spokesman David Oldfield immediately attacked the

group as "representatives of the elite establishment".

"They are all supporters of multiculturalism and therefore they are all

on the opposite side both politically and socially of Pauline Hanson's

One Nation," Mr Oldfield said.

The action by the community leaders came as One Nation is

struggling to regain its support in the electorate, with the lastest

Newspoll last week placing its vote at 7 per cent.

Business Council president Stan Wallis yesterday said although his

organisation was most noted for its stance on "hard-edged economic

issues" he had no hesitation in joining the action because the

"statements, attitudes and policies of the One Nation party . . . put

Australia's future in jeopardy".

ACTU president Jennie George yesterday said the statement showed

the union movement and the business community "can on occasion

put aside our differences and assert jointly what we think is good

about our nation".

Ms George, whose Russian parents came to Australia as displaced

people after World War II, said under Ms Hanson's immigration

policy they would not have passed a language test, but she had

since proved she could make a contribution to Australia's future.

She acknowledged that many unionists were attracted to One Nation

and warned the major parties to be aware there was "some reason

for their disaffection".

But she said "intolerance and racism have no place in Australia's

union movement".

Mr Hawke, who was not at the launch because he wanted to leave it

to the organisations to speak, said yesterday he was inspired to ask

the group to come together after he reflected on the alliance formed

by business and unions in support of immigration after World War II.

He said at the time unemployment was high, and Australia's

population was about six million. About the same number of people

have since migrated to Australia.