How important is racism?

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 29 06:24:56 PDT 1998

Kevin LaPalme wrote:

> Do we need to extend the racist analysis into
> every corner of our private lives ...

No, of course not, for racism is an ideology which rationalizes a historically given set of social relations and the objective conditions of oppression and exclusion which those relations generate, and nothing in anyone's private life makes a difference. (Though I would hate to share in the consciousness that generates such retrograde politics as those of LaPalme and withrow.)

> and into every foot of public space?

Yes, absolutely, though actually that is already the case. The most dangerous racists are those who believe in their purity of intentions but will not confront this fact. Eventually it will take (as it did in the 60s) massive and collective black violence to bring this home to all too many leftists. In the past, an unfortunately large proportion of white leftists at that point decided they would rather keep their distance than remain leftist.

Lenin once observed (this may be apocryphal) that anarchy is the price the working class pays for its sins of opportunism. LaPalme and withrow, in so far as they engage in worker-organizing are preparing for future anarchy.

Carrol

Carrol