First world prosperity

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Wed Aug 26 14:00:23 PDT 1998

Brad says: >You may not care that your wife doesn't spend her life painfully processing acorns to make acorn mush, but I'm glad mine doesn't have to...<

In my household, there's a 50 percent chance that I would be the one running the acorn processor (rather than my wife doing it).

not that I'm holier than thou or anything...

More crucially, many anthropologists say that those groups working with neolithic technology (with tribal rather than Aztec-type social relations) had an abundance of leisure compared to us. The North American Indians seem to have had this. Though of course they lacked in-door plumbing and resistance to European diseases.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html