Last shot at Brad before I go to England was Re: Answer Doug. Re: First world prosperity

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Wed Aug 26 22:36:59 PDT 1998

At 07:51 PM 8/26/98 -0700, you wrote:

>>perhaps you are being too polite but let me answer for young De Long
>>
>>What wars?
>>
>>What overthrows?
>>
>>what assasinations?
>>
>>What death squads?
>>
>>What disinformation?
>>
>>You seem to me some kind of commie Doug. Haven't you watched any Hollywood
>>movies? Get out _A Few Good Men_ and see where Demi Moore talks of the men
>>who "stand on the wall and say nothing will hurt you - not on my shift."
>>she is talking of that extremely dangerous country Cuba where something
>>like 2000 million people have been killed by Marxists. Isn't that right
Brad?

>>regards
>>
>>Gary
>
>How long do you think that someone as ornery and independent-minded as you
>would have stayed out of jail had you been born in Cuba? Or Poland? Or--God
>forbid--North Korea?
>
>Brad DeLong

Peace Brad -not for very long but that's *not* the point.

I keep saying this and maybe one day you will come to realize the point I am making. What happened and happens in Cuba etc cannot be divorced from the totality of the underlying relationality between America and Cuba etc.

The construction of a communist nation does not take place in a vacuum. The USA intervenes and tries to bring about a counter revolution. By and large they are brilliantly successful at this. Of course the result as in Afghanistan is that humanity does not take the next step forward towards the creation of a just egalitarian world. But what the hell as long as the Pentagon is satisfied.

regards

Gary