Cuba's Destiny

Thu Aug 27 07:12:50 PDT 1998

>P.S. The base line for comparing Cuba's political and economic
>development isn't Berkeley California. Given the role of US imperialism
>and Cuba's position in the world-economy as an agricultural periphery a
>more realistic comparision is between Cuba and Haiti. Warts and all Cuba
>is a much better place to live than Haiti.
>
>Sean Noonan
>seanno at ksu.edu

Why Haiti rather than Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, or Mexico? It's certainly the case that if Cuba's alternative destiny after 1958 was that of Haiti (or Guatemala), then Fidel Castro is God's Gift to Cubans. But I think that Cuba's destiny in the absence of Castro was unlikely to be that bleak...

Brad DeLong