Cuba's Destiny

david dorkin ddorkin at aye.net
Wed Aug 26 20:58:57 PDT 1998

Mr. DeLong;

Your point concerning civil liberties in Cuba is well taken and elementary to anyone living in the United States or OECD. There are and always have been significant sectors of the Left that have been generally critical of this (usually, however, in a manner that takes into account the international environment and institutional history ).

However equally elementary to any informed observer is the difference between life expectancy, infant mortality, literacy etc. I can refer you to several Human Development reports if you are interested as I feel that anecdotal evidence or sociological surveys will impress you little.

The comparison not only holds in the case of Mexico(?), Puerto Rico (I think you must be rather uninterested or uninformed about the history or relative well- being here)and even Costa Rica(the Switzerland of Latin America. I am certain that you are aware of plenty of statistical sources as well as North American anecdotes.

Regards