Cuba's Destiny

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Thu Aug 27 08:56:22 PDT 1998

Sean Noonan writes: >> The base line for comparing Cuba's political and economic development isn't Berkeley California. Given the role of US imperialism and Cuba's position in the world-economy as an agricultural periphery a more realistic comparision is between Cuba and Haiti. Warts and all Cuba is a much better place to live than Haiti.<<

Brad deLong asks: >Why Haiti rather than Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, or Mexico? It's certainly the case that if Cuba's alternative destiny after 1958 was that of Haiti (or Guatemala), then Fidel Castro is God's Gift to Cubans. But I think that Cuba's destiny in the absence of Castro was unlikely to be that bleak...<

I think Haiti is the wrong measuring rod, since almost every country looks good compared to Haiti.

Also, it's a mistake to compare whole countries: for this kind of comparison, I would compare the poor of Cuba to those in Mexico or Guatemala or Costa Rica or Puerto Rico. I haven't done a massive study of these things, but my impression from visiting Cuba, Mexico, and Guatemala is that if I were poor, I'd rather live in Cuba. As a middle-class intellectual, I'd rather live in Mexico. But I don't think the relative quality of a country's economy can be measured using me as the yardstick. Else Berkeley would be Valhalla. Using the poor as the standard fits with a generalized Rawlsian view of ethics (and fits with the viewpoint of my Jesuit colleagues).

Doug, do you have World Bank or other data indicating the relative lot of the poor in these countries? I don't have them handy.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html